•   Monday, 17 Jun, 2024
Chances of more survivors from Dnipro strike minimal

Chances of more survivors from Dnipro strike minimal

Generic placeholder image
  Admin

The attack left 30 dead while a further 44 are missing, 

Dnipro mayor Borys Filatov said there was "minimal" chance of finding anyone else alive.

Speaking to state TV in Moscow, Russian President Vladimir Putin insisted that military operations were going to plan.

Kyiv, Kharkiv and Odesa were also hit on Saturday in attacks which Moscow said were targeted at Ukraine's military and energy infrastructure.

The devastating strike in Dnipro hit the entrance of a nine-storey building, turning several floors into smouldering rubble.

Mr Filatov said that around 70 people required medical treatment and of those 10 were "in a difficult condition".

Polish Prime Minister Mateusz Morawiecki called the missile strikes "inhuman", adding that "Russia intentionally keeps on committing war crimes against civilians".

Rescue teams work in the rubble of the damaged residential building hit by shelling in Dnipro

Speaking on state TV, Mr Putin said "everything is developing within the framework of the plan of the ministry of defence and the general staff".

In his evening address on Sunday, Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky noted he had received many messages of sympathy from around the world and condemned the Russian people's "cowardly silence" over the attack.

Switching to Russian during his message, he said he wanted to address those "who even now could not utter a few words of condemnation of this terror".

"Your cowardly silence, your attempt to 'wait out' what is happening, will only end with the fact that one day these same terrorists will come for you."

He added the victims of the strike included a 15-year-old girl and that two children had been left orphans.

It has been two weeks since the last wave of Russian attacks on Ukraine's power grid. On Saturday, Mr Zelensky said energy infrastructure in the Kharkiv and Kyiv regions had been badly hit.

Following the attacks, Ukrainian state energy company Ukrenergo temporarily imposed round-the-clock consumption limits for all regions. Ukrainian energy minister German Galushchenko said the next few days would be "difficult".

Nato chief Jens Stoltenberg said on Sunday that Ukraine could expect more deliveries of heavy weapons from Western countries.

"Recent pledges for heavy warfare equipment are important - and I expect more in the near future," Mr Stoltenberg told German media.

Russia's missile barrage came on the same day that UK Prime Minister Rishi Sunak said his government would give Challenger 2 tanks to Kyiv's armed forces in a bid to help "push Russian troops back".

In response, Moscow said providing more weapons to Ukraine would lead to intensified Russian operations and more civilian casualties.

Comment As:

Comment (0)